[Python-ideas] PEP 554: Stdlib Module to Support Multiple Interpreters in Python Code

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 10:52:00 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
wrote:
​[...]​

> get_main():
>
>    Return the main interpreter.

​I assume the concept of a main interpreter is inherited from the previous
levels of support in the C API, but what exactly is the significance of
being "the main interpreter"? Instead, could they just all be
subinterpreters of the same Python process (or whatever the right wording
would be)?​

It might also be helpful if the PEP had a short description of what are
considered subinterpreters and how they differ from threads of the same
interpreter [*]. Currently, the PEP seems to rely heavily on knowledge of
the previously available concepts. However, as this would be a new module,
I don't think there's any need to blindly copy the previous design,
regardless of how well the design may have served its purpose at the time.

-- Koos

[*] For instance regarding the role of the glo... local interpreter locks
(LILs) ;)

--
+ Koos Zevenhoven + http://twitter.com/k7hoven +