[Python-ideas] PEP 562

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Sep 10 16:18:25 EDT 2017

The main two use cases I know of for this and PEP 549 are lazy imports of
submodules, and deprecating attributes. If we assume that you only want
lazy imports to show up in dir() and don't want deprecated attributes to
show up in dir() (and I'm not sure this is what you want 100% of the time,
but it seems like the most reasonable default to me), then currently you
need one of the PEPs for one of the cases and the other PEP for the other
case.

Would it make more sense to add direct support for lazy imports and
attribute deprecation to ModuleType? This might look something like
metamodule's FancyModule type:

    https://github.com/njsmith/metamodule/blob/
ee54d49100a9a06ffff341bb10a4d3549642139f/metamodule.py#L20

-n