[Python-ideas] Make map() better

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 15 12:24:20 EDT 2017

Jason,

I'm sorry if you feel that everyone is piling on you to poo-poo your
ideas, but we've heard it all before. To you it might seem like
"peaceful coexistence", but we already have peaceful coexistence. Python
exists, and Javascript exists (to say nothing of thousands of other
languages, good bad and indifferent), and we're hardly at war in any
way.

Rather, what it sounds like to us is "Hey, Python is really great, let's
make it worse so Javascript coders won't have to learn anything new!"

Um... what's in it for *us*? What benefit do we get?

Honestly, there are so many differences between Python and Javascript
that having to learn a handful more or less won't make any difference.
The syntax is different, the keywords are different, the standard
library is different, the semantics of code is different, the names of
functions and objects are different, the methods are different, the
idioms of what is considered best practice are different...

Why, I could almost believe that Python and Javascript were different
languages!

--
Steve