[Python-ideas] A PEP to define basical metric which allows to guarantee minimal code quality

alexandre.galode at gmail.com alexandre.galode at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 14:17:38 EDT 2017

Hi,

thanks for your answer, and your questions. Very good draw. I printed it in
my office ^^

First i'd like to precise that, as in title, aim is not to gurantee quality
but minimal quality. I think it's really two different things.

About metrics, my ideas was about following (for the moment):

   - Basical Python Rules respect: PEP8 & PEP20 respect
   - Docstring/documentation respect: PEP257 respect
   - Code readability: percentage of commentary line and percentage of
   blank line
   - Code maintainability / complexity: the facility to re-read code if old
   code, or to understand code for an external developer. If not
   comprehensive, for example, i use McCabe in my work
   - Code coverage: by unit tests

>From your question on objective metrics, i don't think that reliable
metrics exists. We can only verify that minimal quality can be reached. As
you say, it's a subjective apprehension, but in my mind, this "PEP" could
be a guideline to improve development for some developers.