[Python-ideas] A PEP to define basical metric which allows to guarantee minimal code quality

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Sep 20 20:51:40 EDT 2017

On 9/20/17 8:37 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
>> You can define metrics. But as to what they mean? Well that is the question.
> One big problem with metrics is that we tend to measure what we know
> how to measure -- generally really not the most useful metric...
>
> As for some kind of PEP or PEP-like document:
>
> I think we'd have to see a draft before we have any idea as to whether
> it's a useful document -- if some of the folks on this thread are
> inspired -- start writing!
>
> I, however, am skeptical because of two things:
>
> 1) most code-quality measures, processes, etc are not language
> specific -- so don't really belong in a PEP
>
> So why PEP 8? -- because the general quality metric is: " the source
> code confirms to a consistent style" -- there is nothing language
> specific about that. But we need to actually define that style for a
> given project or organization -- hence PEP 8.
>
> 2) while you can probably get folks to agree on general guidelines--
> tests are good! -- I think you'll get buried in bike shedding of the
> details. And it will likely go beyond just the color of the bike shed.
>
> Again -- what about PEP8? Plenty of bike shedding opportunities there.
> But there was a need to reach consensus on SOMETHING-- we needed a
> style guide for the standard lib. I'm not that's the case with other
> "quality" metrics.

I don't see the need for a PEP here.  PEPs are written where we need the
core committers to agree on something (how to change Python, how to
style stdlib code, etc), or where we need multiple implementations to
agree on something (what does "python" mean, how to change Python, etc).

There's no need for the core committers or multiple implementations of
Python to agree on quality metrics.  There's no need for this to be a
PEP.  Write a document that proposes some quality metrics. Share it
around. Get people to like it. If it becomes popular, then people will
start to value it as a standard for project quality.

It doesn't need to be a PEP.

--Ned.