[Python-ideas] Hexadecimal floating literals

Jim Baker jim.baker at python.org
Thu Sep 21 22:35:22 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:57 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's also worth remembering that there will be implementations other
> than CPython that will need changes, too - Jython, PyPy, possibly
> Cython, and many editors and IDEs. So setting the bar at "someone who
> wants this will have to step up and provide a patch" seems reasonable
> to me.

It would be more or less trivial for Jython to add such support, given that
Java has such support natively, and we already leverage this support in our
current implementation of 2.7. See
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Double.html#valueOf(java.lang.String)
if curious. We just need to add the correct floating point constant that is
parsed to Java's constant pool, as used by Java bytecode, and it's done.

I'm much more concerned about finishing the rest of 3.x.

- Jim