[Python-ideas] PEP draft: Unifying function/method classes

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Mon Apr 2 11:46:07 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-02 12:39, INADA Naoki wrote:
> Thanks for writing such hard PEP.
>
> At first glance, it new type hierarchy seems OK.
> But I can't understand rational for new flags.

Which flags in particular do you mean? I just pushed an update
explaining the rationale of METH_ARG0_FUNCTION:

https://github.com/jdemeyer/PEP-functions#replacing-tp_call-meth_arg0_function

> And it's very difficult to estimate runtime and maintenance cost of
> the PEP, without draft implementation.

Runtime cost: the goal is no slowdowns at all.

Maintenance cost: IMHO, this PEP simplifies functions in CPython by
removing special classes like method_descriptor so the effect should
only be in the good sense.

> FASTCALL is introduced in recently version, and it make implementation
> complicated.
> I'm afraid that this PEP make it worse.

What do you mean? I am not making any changes to METH_FASTCALL.

I only mention it in my PEP to document it.

Jeroen.