[Python-ideas] Move optional data out of pyc files

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Apr 10 20:19:40 EDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 12:51 PM Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:

> >> 3. Annotations. They are used mainly by third party tools that
> >> statically analyze sources. They are rarely used at runtime.
> >
> > Even less used than docstrings probably.
>
> typing.NamedTuple and dataclasses use annotations at runtime.
>
> Eric

Yep. Everything accessible in any way at runtime is used by something at
runtime. It's a public API, we can't just get rid of it.

Several libraries rely on docstrings being available (additional case in
point beyond the already linked to cli tool: ply
<http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/ply.html>)

Most of the world never appears to use -O and -OO.  If they do, they don't
use these libraries or jump through special hoops to prevent pyo
compliation of any sources that need them.  (unlikely)

-gps