[Python-ideas] Proposal: A Reduce-Map Comprehension and a "last" builtin

Brendan Barnwell brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Tue Apr 10 23:58:18 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-08 10:41, Kyle Lahnakoski wrote:
> For example before I read the docs on
> itertools.accumulate(list_of_length_N, func), here are the unknowns I see:

	It sounds like you're saying you don't like using functions because you
have to read documentation.  That may be so, but I don't have much
sympathy for that position.  One of the most useful features of
functions is that they exist as defined chunks of code that can be
explicitly documented.  Snippets of inline code are harder to document
and harder to "address" in the sense of identifying precisely which
chunk of code is being documented.

	If the documentation for accumulate doesn't give the information that
people using it need to know, that's a documentation bug for sure, but
it doesn't mean we should stop using functions.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no