[Python-ideas] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions (post #4)

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Apr 11 14:38:23 EDT 2018

On 04/10/2018 10:32 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Title: Assignment Expressions

Thank you, Chris, for doing all this!

---

Personally, I'm likely to only use this feature in `if` and `while` statements; if the syntax was easier to read inside
longer expressions then I might use this elsewhere -- but as has been noted by others, the on-the-spot assignment
creates asymmetries that further clutter the overall expression.

As Paul noted, I don't think parenthesis should be mandatory if the parser itself does not require them.

For myself, I prefer the EXPR as NAME variant for two reasons:

- puts the calculation first, which is what we are used to seeing in if/while statements; and
- matches already existing expression-level assignments (context managers, try/except blocks)

+0.5 from me.

--
~Ethan~