[Python-ideas] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions (post #4)

Mike Miller python-ideas at mgmiller.net
Fri Apr 13 12:27:35 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-13 08:44, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> So my position is:
>
> - "as" is more Pythonic and looks nicer;

Yes, perhaps if typing annotations had not chosen the colon but used a
whitespace delimiter instead, adding a few more colons to the source would not
be an issue.

But in combination, it feels like there will be way too many colons in a
potential future Python.  One of the things I liked about it historically was
its relative lack of punctuation and use of short words like in, and, not, as, etc.

As mentioned before, I liked := for assignment in Pascal, but presumably since
we are keeping == for testing, there's not as strong of an argument for that
spelling.

-Mike