[Python-ideas] collections.Counter should implement __mul__, __rmul__

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 21:34:55 EDT 2018

On Sunday, April 15, 2018, Peter Norvig <peter at norvig.com> wrote:

> If you think of a Counter as a multiset, then it should support __or__,
> not __add__, right?
>
> I do think it would have been fine if Counter did not support "+" at all
> (and/or if Counter was limited to integer values). But  given where we are
> now, it feels like we should preserve `c + c == 2 * c`.
>
> As to the "doesn't really add any new capabilities" argument, that's
> true, but it is also true for Counter as a whole: it doesn't add much over
> defaultdict(int), but it is certainly convenient to have a standard way to
> do what it does.
>
> I agree with your intuition that low level is better. `total` would be
> useful. If you have total and mul, then as you and others have pointed out,
> normalize is just c *= 1/c.total.
>
> I can also see the argument for a new FrequencyTable class in the
> statistics module. (By the way, I refactored my https://github.com/norvig/
> pytudes/blob/master/ipynb/Probability.ipynb a bit, and now I no longer
> need a `normalize` function.)

nltk.probability.FreqDist(collections.Counter) doesn't have a __mul__ either
http://www.nltk.org/api/nltk.html#nltk.probability.FreqDist

numpy.unique(, return_counts=True).unique_counts returns an array sorted by
value with a __mul__.
https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.unique.html

scipy.stats.itemfreq returns an array sorted by value with a __mul__ and
the items in the first column.
https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.itemfreq.html

pandas.Series.value_counts(, normalize=False) returns a Series sorted by
descending frequency.
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/generated/pandas.Series.value_counts.html