[Python-ideas] Proposal: A Reduce-Map Comprehension and a "last" builtin

Peter O'Connor peter.ed.oconnor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 09:49:54 EDT 2018

Hi Danilo,

The idea of decorating a function to show that the return variables could
be fed back in in a scan form is interesting and could solve my problem in
a nice way without new syntax.

I looked at your code but got a bit confused as to how it works (there
seems to be some magic where the decorator injects the scanned variable
into the namespace).  Are you able to show how you'd implement the moving
average example with your package?

I tried:

    @enable_scan("average")
    def exponential_moving_average_pyscan(signal, decay, initial=0):
        yield from ((1-decay)*(average or initial) + decay*x for x in
signal)

    smooth_signal_9 = list(exponential_moving_average_pyscan(signal,
decay=decay))[1:]

Which almost gave the right result, but seemed to get the initial
conditions wrong.

- Peter