[Python-ideas] With expressions

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:43:46 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 at 11:25, Thomas Nyberg via Python-ideas
<python-ideas at python.org> wrote:

> Is it true that Path('file').read_text() closes the file after the read?
> I think that is the sort of functionality that Ken is asking for.
> It's not clear to me by your linked documentation that it does. If it
> does, maybe that should be made more clear in that linked documentation?
> (Of course, maybe it's written there somewhere and I'm just blind...)

I'm not sure I see why you think it wouldn't - opening and closing the
file is a purely internal detail of the function. In any case, you
don't get given a file object, so how could anything *other* than the
read_text() close the file? So you're basically asking "does
Path.read_text() have a bug that causes it to leak a filehandle?" to
which my answer would be "I assume not, until someone demonstrates
such a bug".

But if someone wanted to raise a doc bug suggesting that we mention
this, I'm not going to bother objecting...
Paul