[Python-ideas] File format for automatic and manual tests
porton at narod.ru
Tue Aug 7 17:57:51 EDT 2018
This is an idea of a new PEP.
I propose to create a portable file format which will list command line
options to run Python scripts with dual purpose:
1. for automatic tests executing scripts from this file (and optionally
checking their stdout against specified values).
2. for running the scripts in a Python debugger.
The scripts may be either real command line applications written in
Python or scripts created specifically for testing.
Currently I use PyCharm to debug my command line application.
PyCharm allows to define and store different command line options for
This has two drawbacks:
1. It is not portable and this makes me not to submit the PyCharm
configuration into my GitHub repo.
2. I can't (at least easily) use these command line profiles for
I propose to create the file format listing such test/debug cases based
on options available in PyCharm, that is:
- Python script path
- command line parameters
- environment variables
- Python interpreter and interpreter options
- working directory
- tweaks of PYTHONPATH to include our source directory as necessary
- redirect input from
It would be nice to add "variables" (substituted with strings) to our
file format. Automated tests should support iterations of command lines
with different vars substituted.
I hope a future version of PyCharm will support our file format.
More information about the Python-ideas