[Python-ideas] Python certification

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 9 19:30:53 EDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  There is, implicitly, a
> syllabus in https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/.

The tutorial, is, well, a tutorial, it is by no means a complete course of
study. So no, I don't think it's an appropriate place to start to develop a
certification.

Here's a couple of Python syllabuses (the first proprietary, the
> second perhaps open)
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-98-381.aspx
> https://pythoninstitute.org/pcap-exam-syllabus/

I am developing this:

https://uwpce-pythoncert.github.io/PythonCertDevel/index.html

Which we use for a "Certificate" program, which is NOT a "certification".

But I like to think we've put together a pretty good curriculum.

I hope this is enough to persuade you that this topic is appropriate
> for python-ideas. Of course, if you know a better forum for this, that
> would be welcome.

This really isn't the right forum -- maybe the tutor list?

But if you think you want to develop a certification, you need to find
like-minded people to do it.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov