[Python-ideas] Does jargon make learning more difficult?

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 14:03:31 EDT 2018

On 22/08/18 18:06, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> The BBC micro:bit is a pocket-sized codeable computer with motion
> detection, a built-in compass and Bluetooth technology, which was
> given free to every child in year 7 or equivalent across the UK in
> 2016.

Ditto for the Raspberry Pi, which is cheap rather than free but aimed at
very must the same market.

> All these children could be Python users. Very different from the
> students that you, as an educator, are preparing to enter the
> technical field of computer software.

In my experience teaching 12-15 year olds Python, not very different at
all.  Those that are interested in learning programming are interested
in learning it properly, just like their older counterparts.  Those that
aren't interested in learning it aren't interested in learning it, no
matter how much you dumb it down or talk it up.

> To turn you statement around: We shouldn't focus too heavily on the
> latest and most learned stages of programming. Such activity, by hours
> spent, makes up probably less than 10% of humanity's time spent
> coding.

If you're talking about Python coding I sincerely doubt that statistic.
If you're talking about coding in general, it's meaningless.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd