[Python-ideas] Does jargon make learning more difficult?

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu Aug 23 11:01:04 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-23 03:10, Abe Dillon wrote:
> [Chris Angelico]
>
>     Because your form cannot possibly work without some additional
>     information.
>

> That isn't my form. That's PSEUDO CODE. Just like I wrote above it.
> You're the one who's not listening.
>
>   The alternative I've suggested, for the thousanth time, is:
>
> hand = sorted(cards, by=card.suit with card)
>
> or
>
> hand = sorted(cards, by=card.suit with(card))
>
> The noise compared to the PSEUDO CODE looks like this:
>
> hand = sorted(cards, by=card.suit ##########)
>
> Which, to me, is preferable to:
>
> hand = sorted(cards, ke#=#############card.suit)
>
> You need me to type that out a few dozen more times?

You're complaining that it's "noise", but I think you need a bit of
noise to tell you that it's defining a function, otherwise you'll see an
expression and think it's evaluated immediately, but then you'll see the
"with" at the end telling you "oh, by the way, this is a function, so
don't evaluate it now".

You gave an example in JavaScript and said that students had "very
little trouble" with it, but notice how the function itself began with a
reserved word.

If you're complaining about the word "lambda", that's fine, but if
you're complaining about where the arguments should go, then I'm afraid
I'd have to say you're wrong.