[Python-ideas] A GUI for beginners and experts alike

Mike Barnett mike_barnett at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:49:48 EDT 2018

Python has dropped the GUI ball, at least for beginners (in my opinion)

While the Python language is awesomely compact, the GUI code is far from compact.  Tkinter will create a nice looking GUI, but you've got to be skilled to use it.  A student in their first week of Python programming is not going to be working with tkinter.

It would be nice if beginners could double click a .py file and have it launch straight into a GUI, like most of the programs people are used to using.

I think I've stumbled onto a framework that could work very well for creating fairly complex custom-layout GUIs.

A package was released recently that uses this framework. It's called PySimpleGUI<https://github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/PySimpleGUI>.  It is a wrapper for tkinter so that it'll run on almost any system Python will run on.  There are no other dependencies and it's a single file so that it can be easily dropped into someone's project folder for immediate use without messing with pip installs.

You can read more:
PySimpleGUI Tutorial<https://pysimplegui.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial/>
PySimpleGUI Cookbook<https://pysimplegui.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cookbook/>
PySimpleGUI Reverence Document<https://pysimplegui.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>
A bunch of screenshots<https://github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/PySimpleGUI/issues/1>

I am not seeking fame, recognition, or any other personal gain.  I could care less if my name is associated with this design.  My goal is to get Python off the command line and onto the screen.

I am, however, making a serious in my attempt to get serious Python community members to weigh in on the best approach for getting acceptance.

A sizeable user-base is likely a requirement.  Interest has been brisk over the past few weeks with the basic GitHub<https://github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/PySimpleGUI> stats having made great strides toward the EasyGUI<https://github.com/robertlugg/easygui> values.  It's not a competition, but rather a benchmark to check progress.

Comments, suggestions, pointers in new directions are all welcomed.

Thank you very much for your time.  I have not been a part of this mailing list in the past, so I hope I'm using it within the guidelines.  Someone pointed me in this direction to get feedback and into the process.

@mike<mailto:mike_barnett at hotmail.com>