[Python-ideas] A GUI for beginners and experts alike

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 12:02:37 EDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 12:42 PM Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2018, at 19:49, Mike Barnett <mike_barnett at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Python has dropped the GUI ball, at least for beginners (in my opinion)
>

> snip

> I think that this is a very interesting project. Having a simple way to do
> GUI's is great for beginners and experienced people.
>
> What I'd suggest is that this would be better if you could extent beyond
> the simple using the underlying toolkit.
> But I'd not use tk as the base I'd use PyQt, IMHO, its the best toolkit
> for building GUIs with python.

While I agree that PyQt is better than tkinter, and I even wrote a simple
interface for it (https://github.com/aroberge/easygui_qt), I think that any
"single install, easy to use" GUI toolkit should be based on what's in the
standard library and, for better or for worse, that is tkinter. So I think
that the right choice was made for PySimpleGUI.

André