[Python-ideas] Use lazy loading with hashtable in python gettext module

Serge Ballesta s-ball at laposte.net
Sun Dec 23 12:06:48 EST 2018

Hi all,

The feed back on my initial mail convinced me that it was important to
allow the current behaviour of eagerly loading the whole catalog, and
that keeping the files opened should also be optional.

All that lead to this proposal:

Features:
========
The gettext module should be allowed to load lazily the catalogs from mo
file. This lazy load should be optional and make use of the hash tables
from mo files when they are present or revert to a binary search. The
translation strings should be cached for better performances.

API changes:
============
3 functions from the gettext module will have 2 new optional parameter
named caching, and keepopen:

gettext.bindtextdomain(domain, localedir=None) would become
gettext.bindtextdomain(domain, localedir=None, caching=None, keepopen=False)

gettext.translation(domain, localedir=None, languages=None, class_=None,
fallback=False, codeset=None) would become
gettext.translation(domain, localedir=None, languages=None, class_=None,
fallback=False, codeset=None, caching=None, keepopen=False)

gettext.install(domain, localedir=None, codeset=None, names=None) would
become
gettext.install(domain, localedir=None, codeset=None, names=None,
caching=None, keepopen=False)

The new caching parameter could receive the following values:
caching=None: revert to the previour eager loading of the full catalog.
It will be the default to allow previous application to see no change
caching=1: lazy loading with unlimited cache
caching=n where n is a positive (>=0) integer value: lazy loading with a
LRU cache limited to n strings

The keepopen parameter would be a boolean:
keepopen=False (default): the mo file is only opened before loading a
translation string and closed immediately after - it is also opened once
when the GNUTranslation class is initialized to load the file description
keepopen=True: the mo file is kept open during the lifetime of the
GNUTranslation object.
This parameter is ignored and not used if caching is None

Implementation:
==============
The current GNUTranslation class loads the content of the mo file to
build a dictionnary where the original strings are the keys and the
translated keys the values. Plural forms use a special processing: the
key is a 2 tuple (singular original string, order), and the value is the
corresponding translated string - order=0 is normally for the singular
translated string.

The proposed implementation would simply replace this dictionary with a
special mapping subclass when caching is not None. That subclass would
use same keys as the original directory and would:
- first search in its cache
- if not found in cache and if the hashtable has not a zero size search
the original string by hash
- if not found in cache and if the hashtable has a zero size, search the
original string with a binary search algorithm.
- if a string is found, it should feed the LRU cache, eventually
throwing away the oldest entry (entries)

That should allow to implement the new feature with minimal refactoring
for the gettext module.