[Python-ideas] In fact, I'm a bit worry about this literal p""

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 03:48:56 EST 2018

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 1:56 AM Ma Lin <malincns at 163.com> wrote:

> Maybe this literal will encourage people to finish tasks using regex,
> even lead to abuse regex, will this change Python's style?
>
> What's worse is, people using mixed manners in the same project:
>
> one_line.split(',')
> p','.split(one_line)
>
> Maybe it will break the Python's style, reduce code readability, is this
> worth it?

The bar for introducing a new type of literal should be very high. Do
performance numbers show this change would have a large impact for a large
amount of libraries and programs?

In my opinion, only if this change would make 50% of programs run 50%
faster then it might be worth discussing. The damage to readability, burden
of changing syntax and burden of yet another language feature for newcomers
to learn is too high.

Cheers,

Yuval