[Python-ideas] Format mini-language for lakh and crore

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Feb 1 03:45:14 EST 2018

On 2/1/2018 12:05 AM, David Mertz wrote:

> So overall I do like Nick's approach better than my initial suggestion
> or Eric's one that is similar to mine.

Oops, I'd forgotten that you (David) had proposed a single character in
your original email. I'm not trying to claim the idea! The important
part is that it's a single character, not what that character is, so
I'll refer to it as "David's suggestion"!

FWIW, PEP 378 also summarizes some of the discussion we're rehashing,
except Nick's proposal (the chosen one) was simpler, and mine slightly
more complex, but still not generalized to solve the problem being
discussed here. Nine years on it might be worth doing some research to
see if other languages have done anything since the PEP was written. For
the languages that support picture-style formatting, I suspect not, but
maybe there's something to learn from newer languages?

Eric