[Python-ideas] Possible Enhancement to py Launcher - set default

Stephan Houben stephanh42 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:07:21 EST 2018

Hi all,

Just want to point out that if tools can accept a config file in
a cross-platform standard location
(perhaps in addition to a platform-specific one),
then that is incredibly useful.

Just search on Github for "dotfiles", and see how many people
store their configuration in a git repo, so they can just go to
a fresh machine, "git clone dotfiles" in their $HOME and be fully set up.

A platform-independent location also simplifies life for us who
use Linux, Windows and MacOs on a daily basis.
(And then there is the fact that these platform "standards" are
only followed very haphazardly anyway, e.g.
Windows Vim uses ~\.vimrc on Windows and not somewhere in $LOCALAPPDATA .)

As an aside, I don't agree with the "appdirs" package on Linux:
XDG != Linux. That may seem pedantry, but while ~/.local is perhaps
not too bad for user-specific config, /etc/xdg is almost certainly the
wrong location for global config any application that is not part of
a desktop environment.
(In fact, such a directory may not exist on a typical headless Linux
install.)

Stephan