[Python-ideas] Add an UML class diagram to the collections.abc module documentation

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 20:50:09 EST 2018

On Monday, January 1, 2018, Yahya Abou 'Imran via Python-ideas <
python-ideas at python.org> wrote:

> Plantuml can also generate ASCII, so playing with ditaa I managed to have
> intersting things...
>
> I opened a public repo on my GitLab account to put that all so you can
> have a visualization of it (source files and `png`s):
>
> https://gitlab.com/yahya-abou-imran/collections-abc-uml
>
> `dot` files seems also interesting by the way...

There is a PlantUML Sphinx extension (which requires Java):
https://github.com/sphinx-contrib/plantuml/

There is GraphViz Sphinx extension:
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/ext/graphviz.html

It looks like pyreverse can generate UML diagrams as DOT files:
https://github.com/PyCQA/pylint/tree/master/pylint/pyreverse

IDK how much post-processing or tool customization is necessary to
implement the requested UML diagram styles.

This generates DOT files from Django model classes (without adding a Java
dependency to the Sphinx docs build):

https://github.com/django-extensions/django-extensions/blob/master/django_extensions/management/modelviz.py

This generates PlantUML and DOT diagrams from SQLalchemy classes:
https://bitbucket.org/estin/sadisplay