[Python-ideas] Add an UML class diagram to the collections.abc module documentation

Steve Barnes gadgetsteve at live.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 02:40:45 EST 2018

You can embed plantuml directives in rst, and possibly the code, and use
sphinxcontrib-plantuml which at least keeps the diagrams for
documentation close to the code.

pyplantuml claims to be able to extract the infromation directly from
the code, (https://github.com/cb109/pyplantuml), but having tried it it
seems a little flaky (and over specific in its dependencies).

pyreverse by default produces a .dot file but takes some time to come up
with the correct flags.

https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/issues/407 makes interesting
reading as well and is also relevant to this thread.

On 02/01/2018 21:29, Barry wrote:
> After reading this thread I went off and read up about plantuml.
> According to its docs it produces dot files that it reandes with graphviz.
> So if graphviz will produce svg that part is solved.
>
> Can you creat the plantuml file automatically from the python code?
>
> Barry
>
> On 2 Jan 2018, at 15:26, Yahya Abou 'Imran via Python-ideas <python-ideas at python.org> wrote:
>
>>> Can I suggest that rather than manually producing or tweaking, and later
>>> updating, the diagrams it might be better to spend a little time
>>> annotating the source code [...]
>>> While the diagrams produced might lack the elegance of manually produced
>>> ones they would be much more useful as they would always be up to date
>>> due to being produced, and updated, automatically.
>>
>> I think it would be a lot of changes in the source code...
>>
>> I would like to precise, so everybody can know it, the syntax of a .puml is realy simple. For example:
>>
>> test.puml:
>>
>> @startuml
>>
>> hide members
>> show methods
>>
>> abstract class Iterable {
>>   {abstract} __iter__()
>> }
>>
>> abstract class Iterator {
>>    {abstract} __next__()
>>    ..
>>    __iter__()
>> }
>>
>> Iterable <|-- Iterator
>>
>> @enduml
>>
>> Then:
>>
>> $ plantuml test.puml
>>
>> And you have test.png I joined.
>>

>>> [...]
>>> I am attaching the diagram produced for the full inheritance of
>>> collections.abc as produced by doxygen/graphviz but I am sure that there
>>> are some options that could make this more readable/useful.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> It's a blank file that I have...
>>
>> I've been struggling with those kind of tools these days, and realised that it's a lot more work (and pain) than a plain text file.
>> <test.png>

Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.