[Python-ideas] Support WHATWG versions of legacy encodings

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 10 19:24:33 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:04 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> I don't believe it's a good strategy to create the confusion that
> WHATWG is introducing by using the same names for non-standard
> encodings.

agreed.

> Python uses the Unicode Consortium standard encodings or
> otherwise internationally standardized ones for the stdlib.
>
> If someone wants to use different encodings, it's easily
> possible to pip install these as necessary.
>
> For the stdlib, I think we should stick to standards and
> not go for spreading non-standard ones.
>
> So -1 on adding WHATWG encodings to the stdlib.

If the OP is right that it is one of the most widely used encodings in the
world, it's kinda hard to call it "non-standard"

I think practicality beats purity here -- if the WHATWG encoding(s) are
clearly defined, widely used, and the names don't conflict with other
standard encodings then it seems like a very good addition to the stdlib.

So +1 -- provided that the proposed encoding(s) is "clearly defined, widely
used, and the name doesn't conflict with other standard encodings"

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov