[Python-ideas] Official site-packages/test directory

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Fri Jan 19 09:27:53 EST 2018

Hello,

I wonder if we could get an official site-packages/test directory.  Currently
it seems to be problematic to distribute tests if they are outside the package
directory.  Here is a nice overview of the two main layout possibilities:

http://pytest.readthedocs.io/en/reorganize-docs/new-docs/user/directory_structure.html

I like the outside-the-package approach, mostly for reasons described very
eloquently here:

http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python_concepts/import_traps.html

CPython itself of course also uses Lib/foo.py and Lib/test/test_foo.py, so it
would make sense to have site-packages/foo.py and site-packages/test/test_foo.py.

For me, this is the natural layout.

Stefan Krah