[Python-ideas] Non-intrusive debug logging

Nick Timkovich prometheus235 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 18:09:14 EST 2018

I think part of the reason that logging appears complicated is because
logging actually is complicated. In the myriad different contexts a Python
program runs (daemon, command line tool, interactively), the logging output
should be going to all sorts of different places. Thus was born handlers.
If you want "all the logs", do you really want all the logs from some
library and the library it calls? Thus was born filters.

For better or worse, the "line cost" of a logging call encourages them to
be useful. That said, I'd maybe like a plugin for my editor that could hide
all logging statements for some "mature" projects so I could try to see the
control flow a bit better.