[Python-ideas] Why CPython is still behind in performance for some widely used patterns ?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 30 12:21:46 EST 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:45 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll also note that one of the things we (and others) *have* been
> putting quite a bit of time into is the question of "Why do people
> avoid using extension modules for code acceleration?".

well, the scientific computing community does do that a lot -- with f2py,
Cyton, and more recently numba.

But the current state of the art makes it fairly easy and practical for
number crunching (and to a somewhat less extent basic text crunching), but
not so much for manipulating higher order data structures.

For example running the OPs code through Cython would likely buy you very
little performance. I don't think numba would do much for you either
(though I don't have real experience with that)

PyPy is the only one I know of that is targeting general "Python" code per
se.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov