[Python-ideas] Format mini-language for lakh and crore

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Wed Jan 31 17:14:07 EST 2018

On 1/29/2018 2:13 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 29 January 2018 at 11:48, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 5:31 PM, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
>>> I actually didn't know about `locale.format("%d", 10e9, grouping=True)`.
>>> But it's still much less general than having the option in the
>>> f-string/.format() mini-language.  This is really about the formatted
>>> string, not necessarily about the locale.  So, e.g. I'd like to be able to
>>> write:

>>> I don't want the format necessarily to be some pseudo-global setting, even
>>> if it can get stored in thread-locals.  That said, having a locale-aware
>>> symbol for delimiting numbers in the format mini-language would also not be
>>> a bad thing.
>>
>> I don't understand the format mini-language well enough to know what
>> would fit in, but maybe some way to (a) request localified formatting,
>
> Given the example, I think a more useful approach would be to allow an
> optional digit grouping specifier after the comma separator, and allow
> the separator to be repeated to indicate non-uniform groupings in the
> lower order digits.
>
> If we did that, then David's example could become:
>
>      >>> print(f"In European format x is {x:,.2f}, in Indian format it
> is {x:,2,3.2f}")

This just seems too complicated to me, and is overgeneralizing. How many
of these different formats would ever really be used? Can you really
expect someone to remember what that means by looking at it?

If you are going to generalize it, at least go all the way and support
the struct lconv "CHAR_MAX" behavior, too.

However, I suggest just pick another character to use instead of ",",
and have it mean the 2,3 format. With no evidence (and willing to be
wrong), it seems like it's the next-most needed variety of this. Maybe
use ";"?

Eric