[Python-ideas] Add new `Symbol` type

Joseph Jevnik joejev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:22:07 EDT 2018

I have also wanted sentinel objects many times. These are often useful
for creating a "Not Specified" default value when explicitly passing
`None` has semantic meaning.

There are a few issues with the `sentinel = object()` code. One is
that they don't repr well so they make debugging harder. Another issue
is that they cannot be pickled or copied. You also cannot take a weak
reference to a sentinel which can break some caching code and makes
them harder to use. At work we have a small helper to create sentinels
with a name and optional doc string which is open sourced here:
https://github.com/quantopian/zipline/blob/master/zipline/utils/sentinel.py.