[Python-ideas] Calling python from C completely statically

Alberto Garcia agarciaillera at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:48:33 EDT 2018

Thank you for your response,

I was thinking on creating that zip file with the content of the Lib folder
and having my c code to download it over the network and have it in memory.
I guess that the zip file should have no compression at all right?

When you say that I need to use the cx_freeze approach what do you mean?
Can you point me to where they do that?

And why changing sys.path again to the executable again? Which part of the
executable?

I'll put my efforts in this.

Thank you

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 7:16 AM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 July 2018 at 03:10, Alberto Garcia <agarciaillera at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > Yes, the part of having the pyd modules built in in library is already
> done.
> > I followed the instructions in the README. What I would like to know now
> is
> > how to embed the non frozen python (py) modules. Can you guys please
> point
> > me in the right direction.
>
> The gist is to:
>
> 1. take the entire Lib directory and put it in a zip archive
> 2. use the approach demonstrated in cx_freeze to point sys.path in
> your static executable at that zip archive
> 3. adjust your C code to point sys.path back at the executable itself,
> and then combine your executable and the zip archive into a single
> contiguous file (similar to what zipapp does with it's helper script
> and app archive)
>
> There are likely to still be rough edges when doing that, since this
> isn't a well tested configuration. When all else fails, find the part
> of the source code responsible for any error messages you're seeing,
> and try to work out if there's a setting you can tweak to avoid
> hitting that code path.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --