[Python-ideas] Support localization of unicode descriptions

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 10 04:45:06 EDT 2018

On 07/10/2018 10:34 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> Is this a Unicode Consortium standard, or a 3rd party project? The
> website wasn't completely clear on the matter, but there's nothing I
> could find on the Unicode website about translations of the standard
> name (there's also nothing that specifically explains the choice to
> use English for the standard names...). If it's not part of the
> standard, then there's an argument that the Python implementation of
> this should also be a 3rd party package, rather than being in the
> stdlib. Is this feature available on PyPI at the moment?
This is a third party initiative. The translations are contributed by
volunteers. I have talked with Python core developers and they suggested
to post this here, as it is for them out of scope for Python std lib. At
the moment there is no implementation yet. That is what I would like to
discuss here.

> Also, would this not lead to non-English speakers expecting that the
> localised names would work in "\N{...}" notation?
Don't know. If an implementation has been made, it should be positioned
very carefully.

Pander