[Python-ideas] The future of Python parallelism. The GIL. Subinterpreters. Actors.

David Foster davidfstr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:31:49 EDT 2018

I was not aware of PyParallel. The PyParellel "parallel thread"
line-of-execution implementation is pretty interesting. Trent, big kudos
to you on that effort.

Since you're speaking in the past tense and said "but we're not doing it
like that", I infer that the notion of a parallel thread was turned down
for integration into CPython, as that appears to have been the original
goal.

However I am unable to locate a rationale for why that integration was
turned down. Was it deemed to be too complex to execute, perhaps in the
context of providing C extension compatibility? Was there a desire to
see a similar implementation on Linux as well as Windows? Some other
reason? Since I presume you were directly involved in the discussions,
perhaps you have a link to the relevant thread handy?

The last update I see from you RE PyParallel on this list is:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2015-September/035725.html

David Foster | Seattle, WA, USA