[Python-ideas] Support localization of unicode descriptions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 10 17:10:32 EDT 2018

On 7/10/2018 4:45 AM, Pander wrote:

> This is a third party initiative. The translations are contributed by
> volunteers. I have talked with Python core developers and they suggested
> to post this here, as it is for them out of scope for Python std lib.

Python-ideas list is for discussion of python and the stdlib library.
This is not a place for prolonged discussion of pypi projects.
It *is* a place to discuss adding a hook that can be used to access
translations.

There are both official doc translations, accessible from the official
doc pages, and others that are independent.  The official ones, at
least, are discussed on the doc-sig list
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/doc-sig
There are currently 7 languages and coordinators listed at
https://devguide.python.org/experts/#documentation-translations
4 have progressed far enough to be listed in the drop-down box on
https://docs.python.org/3/

I should think that these people should be asked if they want to be
involved with unicode description translations.  They should certainly
have some helpful advice.

The description vocabulary is rather restricted, so a word translation
dictionary should be pretty easy.  For at least for some languages, it
should be possible to generate the 200000 description translations from
this. The main issues are word order and language-dependent 'word'
units.  Hence, the three English words "LATIN SMALL LETTER" become two
words in German, 'LATEINISCHER KLEINBUCHSTABE', versus three words in
Spanish, but in reverse order, 'LETRA PEQUEÑA LATINA'.  It is possible
that the doc translators already uses translation software that deal
with these issues.

--
Terry Jan Reedy