[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 05:11:33 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 4:06 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> I'd love to hear an explanation of WHY this doesn't look like Python
>> any more. For instance, is the + operator somehow wrong for Python,
>> and it should have been the word "add"?
>

> There's a very long tradition of using the symbol "+" to
> represent addition, so it's something most people are
> familiar with. There's no such tradition for the new
> operators being proposed.

Okay. What about bitwise operators, then? They don't have centuries of
mathematical backing to support them, yet it isn't considered
"unpythonic" to have &|^~ peppering our code. Judging by the current
levels of backlash against symbolic operators, it would have been
better to use "more explicit" function calls for all bitwise
operations. Coalescing None to a value is _at least_ as common as
performing bit manipulations in integers.

ChrisA