[Python-ideas] Performance improvements via static typing

Eric Fahlgren ericfahlgren at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:02:33 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 6:52 AM Michael Hall <python-ideas at michaelhall.tech>
wrote:

> While I am aware of projects like Cython and mypy, it seems to make sense
> for CPython to allow optional enforcement of type hints, with compiler
> optimizations related to it to be used. While this would not receive the
> same level of performance benefits as using ctypes directly, there do
> appear to be various gains available here.

​Just to make sure I understand:  In other words, they would no longer be
"hints" but "guarantees".  This would allow an optimizer pass much greater
latitude in code generation, somehow or other.​

For purposes of illustration (this is not a proposal, just for
clarification):

@guaranteed_types
def my_sqrt(x:c_double) -> c_double:

would tell the compiler that it's now possible to replace the general
PyObject marshalling of this function with a pure-C one that only accepts
doubles and woe be unto those who use it otherwise.