[Python-ideas] Adding Python interpreter info to "pip install"

Pradyun Gedam pradyunsg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 01:32:58 EDT 2018

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 09:52 Nathaniel Smith, <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The goal of this idea is to make it easier to find out when someone has
> > installed packages for the wrong python installation. I'm coming across
> > quite a few StackOverflow posts and emails where beginners are using pip
> > install a package, but then finding they can't import it because they
> have
> > multiple python installations and used the wrong pip.
>
> This sounds like a great idea to me, but pip is developer separately
> from python itself, and I don't think the pip maintainers monitor
> python-ideas.

At least one (me) does lurk here. ;)

I'd suggest filing a feature request on the pip tracker:

> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/new?template=feature-request.md

I second this suggestion to file a feature request for this on the tracker.

Additionally, you should also take a look to see if this has been filed
already since I do remember having a discussion where this came. :)

--
Pradyun