[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 08:30:40 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 10:24 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 July 2018 at 13:16, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I go with SF fandom's traditional :-) definition: "somebody did it once."
>>> If it's been done more than once, it's an honoured tradition.
>>
>> But if Shakespeare did it, it's just the way the language is.
>>
>> I think Fortran is the programming world's Shakespeare.
>
> Or maybe COBOL:
>
> "And lo from yonder file a record doth appear"...

Hah! But I was thinking of all those uber-obvious features like "a +
b" meaning addition. Those symbols, and the infix style, aren't
"traditions" - they're the baseline that we measure everything else
against. Also, the use of decimal digits to represent literals; if you
*don't* use decimal, you're unusual. (Which makes the Shakespeare
Programming Language [1] an ironic example, since it doesn't use
decimal digits for numeric literals.)

ChrisA
[1] http://shakespearelang.sourceforge.net/report/shakespeare/