[Python-ideas] Multi-core reference count garbage collection

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 06:38:51 EDT 2018

Hi Barry

We've met before. Nice to meet you again, this time electronically.

You suggested that is a different problem that needs a solution. To help
maintain focus, I won't respond to that now.

You wrote:
> I'd argue that the ref counts are not interesting at all, only a
> side effect of one possible solution to the object life time problem.

I'm happy for you to regard multi-core reference counting (MCRC) as a toy
problem, which won't become part of useful software.

We can learn a lot by understanding a good toy. Einstein was fascinated by
the compass, and the spinning top is surprisingly deep.

https://www.johnshepler.com/articles/einstein.html
https://www.einsteinscompass.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocompass

Of course, I hope you won't mind if MCRC turns out to useful.

--
Jonathan