[Python-ideas] slice[] to get more complex slices

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 05:29:42 EDT 2018

Hi Grégory

You wrote:
> Seems that the initial proposal was skipped just for timing reasons

The discussion is in https://bugs.python.org/issue24379. It was first
skipped for that reason. Second time around our Then and now Former
BDFL wrote
===
https://bugs.python.org/msg280721
Actually I'm with Raymond -- I'm also not sure or mildly against (-0).
Given how easy it is to do without and how cumbersome using the operator
module is I don't see a great benefit. (IMO the operator module should be
the measure of *last* resort -- it is not to become part of anybody's
toolkit for common operators. But I seem to be a minority opinion here.)
===
and also
===
https://bugs.python.org/msg319695
Let's close it. Just because someone spent a lot of effort on a patch
we don't have to accept it.
===

That said, I see merits in providing standard tools for creating
slices. These tools, as discussed, to take advantage of the power of
the [...] syntax. I'd start here:
https://bugs.python.org/msg244801

--
Jonathan