[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 10:02:31 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 2:37 PM Mark E. Haase <mehaase at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What does a scan through the existing core library say?
>

> Please read the PEP before you shoot it down. It answers this _exact_ question.

My apologies.  I'd missed the line where it says the examples were
taken from the core library. So then a couple of points. Given the
size of the core library, 678 seems like a very low number to me for a
proposal like this -- but then I don't know quite what the threshold
number would be for something like this.  I guess I had expected that
if None really were used in this way that there would be thousands of
places where it might be used in the core libraries.   Secondly (and I
mean this with no animus at all), in some of the examples given I
really struggle to see that the new version is more readable /
maintainable / obvious than the old version.  I can see the point in a
couple of others.  You'll say this is subjective as a test, and it is,
I suppose.

N.