[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 00:25:44 EDT 2018

> On Jul 18, 2018, at 10:43 AM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
>
> Possibly this is exactly the wrong time to propose the next big syntax change, since we currently have nobody to declare on it, but since we're likely to argue for a while anyway it probably can't hurt (and maybe this will become the test PEP for whoever takes the reins?).

It probably is the wrong time and probably can hurt (by introducing divisiveness when we most need for be focusing on coming together).

This PEP also shares some traits with PEP 572 in that it solves a somewhat minor problem with   new syntax and grammar changes that affect the look and feel of the language in a way that at least some of us (me for example) find to be repulsive.

This PEP is one step further away from Python reading like executable pseudo-code.  That trait is currently a major draw to the language and I don't think it should get tossed away just to mitigate a minor irritant.

We should also consider a moratorium on language changes for while.  There is more going on than just a transition to a post-bdfl world.  The other implementations of Python are having a hard time keeping up with our recent, ferocious rate of change.  Even among the core developers, most people are not fully up to date learning all the new features that have already been added (how many of you are competent with typing, data classes, generalized unpacking, concurrent futures, async, the scoping rules for exceptions and comprehensions, the hundreds of niggling changes in the past few releases, __init_subclass__, __set_name__, details of import logic, issues with SSL certificates, new collections ABCs, etc.?)  We've been putting major changes in faster than anyone can keep up with them.  We really need to take a breath.

Raymond