[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Jul 29 06:32:19 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018, 2:00 AM Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> Fine. So it takes them an extra day to learn one more operator. Big
> deal. It is commonly believed to take ten years to master a field or
> language. Amortize that one day over ten years and its virtually
> nothing.

This is where being wrong matters. The experience in this thread of most
supporters failing to get the semantics right shows that this isn't an
extra day to learn. It's something that experienced programmers would
continue to get won't in edge cases after years of use. The proposed
operators don't match how most experienced developers think about code.

Being glaringly ugly as written, and using an unintuitive or
counterintuitive symbol alternates that, of course.

I can hardly imagine a stronger bug magnet than PEP 505.