[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 29 10:57:38 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 06:32:19AM -0400, David Mertz wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018, 2:00 AM Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>
> > Fine. So it takes them an extra day to learn one more operator. Big
> > deal. It is commonly believed to take ten years to master a field or
> > language. Amortize that one day over ten years and its virtually
> > nothing.
> >

> This is where being wrong matters. The experience in this thread of most
> supporters failing to get the semantics right shows that this isn't an
> extra day to learn.

The difficulty one or two people had in coming up with a correct
equivalent to none-aware operators on the spur of the moment is simply
not relevant. Aside from whichever developers implements the feature,
the rest of us merely *use* it, just as we already use import,
comprehensions, yield from, operators, class inheritence, and other
features which are exceedingly difficult to emulate precisely in pure
Python code.

Even something as simple as the regular dot attribute lookup is
difficult to emulate precisely. I doubt most people would be able to
write a pure-Python version of getattr correctly the first time. Or even
the fifth. I know I wouldn't.

I'm sure that you are fully aware that if this proposal is accepted,
people will not need to reinvent the wheel by emulating these none-aware
operators in pure Python, so your repeated argument that (allegedly)
even the supporters can't implement it correctly is pure FUD. They won't
have to implement it, that's the point.

--
Steve