[Python-ideas] Make asyncio.get_event_loop a builtin

Michel Desmoulin desmoulinmichel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:24:12 EDT 2018

Well that doesn't matter anyway. With breakpoint() we choose the
debugger implementation, so we could do the same here.

However, this would be addressing the wrong problem the problem is
verbosity. asyncio s are already aware of that, since they are working
on providing asycio.run() in 3.7.

Now they also added asyncio.get_running_loop(), which we will soon be
used everywhere instead of get_event_loop(). That should have a shorter
alias lie asyncio.loop([check_running=True]).

Currently the shortest we can do is:

import asyncio as aio

aio.get_event_loop()

This gets old very fast. It's annoying enough that we have to deal
manually with a very low level event loop every when we go from JS/Go to
Python. It would be nice to have more helpers to do so.