[Python-ideas] Fwd: Trigonometry in degrees

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 11 07:38:57 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 12:08:07PM +0200, Jacco van Dorp wrote:

> "0.5π"  # Currently: 1.5707963267948966

I think that if you expect the stdlib math library to change to symbolic
maths for trig functions, you are going to be extremely disappointed.

Aside from everything else, this is such a massive backward-
compatibility break that it probably wouldn't even have been allowed in
Python 3.0, let alone in 3.8.

> It helps clarity and understanding when you're coming to python from a
> math background.

What about the other 95% of Python programmers who don't have a maths
background and don't give two hoots about the mathematical elegance of
being able to differentiate sin(x) without a multiplicative factor?

--
Steve