[Python-ideas] Fwd: Trigonometry in degrees

Michael Selik mike at selik.org
Mon Jun 11 16:53:25 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 1:18 PM Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Michael Selik <mike at selik.org> wrote:
>
>> Would sind and cosd make Euler's formula work correctly?
>

> There is nothing inherently more accurate in using degrees rather than
> radians for trigonometry.

That's actually what I was trying to say. Shouldn't have tried to be
round-about. Not only did the point get muddled, but I wrote something
false as well!

Perhaps you'd prefer an enhancement to the fractions module that provides
>> real (not float) math?
>>

> Isn't that exactly what the fractions module does? or are you suggesting
> that it be extended with trig functions?

The latter. However, to Steven's point about irrationals, perhaps this
should be an entirely separate module designed to handle various
irrationalities accurately. ... Like SymPy.