[Python-ideas] Fwd: Trigonometry in degrees

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jun 11 18:57:18 EDT 2018

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> sin(3°) is:
>
> -1/2 (-1)^(29/60) ((-1)^(1/60) - 1) (1 + (-1)^(1/60))
>
> This proposal was supposed to *simplify* the trig functions for
> non-mathematicians, not make them mind-bogglingly complicated.

I don't think anyone is going to complain about sin(3°) not
being exact, whatever units are being used. This discussion
is only about the rational values.

I wonder whether another solution would be to provide a
set of "newbie math" functions that round their results.

 >>> round(cos(pi/2), 15)
0.0
 >>> round(sin(pi/6), 15)
0.5

Yes, I know, this just pushes the surprises somewhere
else, but so does every solution.

--
Greg